Naogaon District Information
Naogaon or Nôogã is a district in the Northern Bangladesh within the Rajshahi Division. Naogaon subdivision was established in 1877 under Rajshahi district. It was turned into a district in 1984. It consists of 2 municipality, 11 upazilas, 18 wards, 74 mahallas, 99 union parishads and 2795 villages. The upazilas are
• Naogaon Sadar Upazila
• Manda Upazila
• Niamatpur Upazila
• Atrai Upazila
• Raninagar Upazila
• Patnitala Upazila (biggest)
• Mahadevpur Upazila
• Dhamoirhat Upazila
• Badalgachi Upazila
• Sapahar Upazila
• Porsha Upazila
There are three Municipalities in this district.
• Naogaon Municipals Naogaon Sadar Upazila
• Nazipur Municipals Nazipur
• Dhamoirhat Municipals Dhamoirhat Upazila
Area: 3435.67 sq km
Boundary: Naogaon district is bounded by West Bengal of India on the north, Natore and Rajshahi districts on the south, Joypurhat and Bogra districts on the east, Nawabganj district and West Bengal (India) on the west.
Weather: Annual temperature is maximum 37.8°C and minimum 11.2°C.
Annual rainfall: 1862 mm.
Major rivers: Atrail, Punorvoba, nagor, little jamuna, Chiri and Tulsi Ganga.
Population: 2377314. Male 50.66% and female 49.34%
Religion: Muslim 84.51%, Hindu 11.39%, others 4.1%
Ethnic community: Santal, Oraon ,Mahali,Munda, Mahali, Bansphor and Kurmi.
Literacy rate: Average literacy 28.4%; male 35.9% and female 20.4%.
Main occupations: Agriculture 49.01%, agricultural labourer 26.96%, commerce 8.35% etc.
Main crops: Paddy, potato, watermelon, oil seeds, pulses etc.
Main exports: Paddy, rice and potato.
Economical importance of Naogaon
Naogaon is considered the storage of food supply for Bangladesh. Here, local peoples are mostly farmer. This district is also home to a considerable rice processing industries.
Historical places of Naogaon
• Paharpur is a small village 5 km. which is the largest known monastery south of the Himalayas has been found. This is an archaeological of 7th century and a symbol of Buddhya civilization. It covers an area of 27 acres (110,000 m2) of land. The architecture of the pyramidal cruciform temple is influenced by temples of South-East Asia, especially Myanmar and Java. This excavated architecture had many terracotta plaques, images of different gods and goddess’, potteries, coin inscriptions, ornamental bircks and other minor clay objects.
• There is also another archiological site to 9 miles west-southwest of Paharpur known as Halud Vihara. Halud Vihara has been tlisted as a Unesco World Heritage Site.
• Kusumba Mosque is situated under the Manda upazila of Naogaon district and on the west bank of the Atrai River. It was built during the period of Afghan rule in Bengal rulers Ghiyasuddin Bahadur Shah. The inscription tablet in Arabic dating the building to 966 AH (1558-59 AD) is fixed over its eastern central entrance. Although built during Suri rule it is well grounded in the Bengal style.
• Patisar village is situated on the banks of the Nagor. This village is associated with rabindranath tagore. The headquarters of the Tagore family’s zamindari in Kaligram Pargana was located at Patisar. Tagore wrote various poems, stories, novels, essays and the verse-play Biday Abhishap by staying here..
Educational institutions: Naogoan district has 47 colleges , 309 high schools and many other nstitutes. Naogaon K.D. Govt. High School is a 120 years old school which contributed to create many leaders, engineers, doctors etc. Raja Haranath High School (1990), Kaligram Rabindranath Institute (1910), Chak Athita High School, English School (1914) are also notable for many contributions.
Places to See
• Shampur Buddhist Bihar (PaharPur)
• Kusumba Masjid
• Patishar (Rabindranath Tagor’s KuthiBari)
• Dubalhati Rajbari
• AltaDighi Dhamoirhat
• Mohadevpur razbari
• Dibor Dighi-Patnitola
• Gahon pirbabar Mazar-Patnitola
• Kancon-Hazarat zahor Uddin Cistia Babar Mazar-Patnitola
• Katabari mazar Patnitola
• Jagaddal Vihara
• Halud Vihara
• Agrapuri Vihara
Naogaon Town: the municipal Naogaon became the subdivision headquarter in 1877 under and was turned into a district town in 1984. It has an area of 37.03 sq km with a population of 123101. It consists of 9 wards and 62 mahallas. Literacy rate among the town people is 48.5%