Chuadanga District Information
Chuadanga district is a Western district of Bangladesh which is a part of the Khulna division. In British period, Chuadanga sub-division was within Nadia district, at partition, excepting Krishnagar thana, the whole territory of Chuadanga sub-division was included in Kushtia district. Then it became a district in 1984. The district consists of 5 municipalities, 36 wards, 93 mahallas, 4 upazilas, 31 union parishads, 421 mouzas and 514 villages. Municipalities are Chuadanga Sadar, Alamdanga, Damurhuda and Jibannagar and Darsana.
Area: 1157.42 sq km.
Boundary: This district is bounded by kushtia district on the northeast, Meherpur district on the northwest, Jhenidah district on the south and southeast, Nadia district of West Bengal of India on the southwest.
Weather: Annual average temperature is maximum 37.1°C, minimum 11.2°C. Annual rainfall is 1467 mm.
Main rivers: The Mathabhanga, Bhairab, Kumar, Chitra, and Nabaganga.
Population: 987, 382 (2001). 50.82% male and female 49.18%.
Religion: Muslim 96.73%, Hindu 2.96%, Christian 0.02% and others 0.29%.
Literacy rate: 25.2%. Male and female literacy rates are 30.5% and 19.6% respectively.
Main Educational institutions: This district has a primary training institute, 1 vocational training institute, 1 nursing institute. There are 12 colleges, 48 high schools and many other junior high schools, government, non-government primary schools and madrasas. Victoria Jubilee Government High School (1880), Alamdanga High School (1914), Natudaha High School (1906) are some of the glorious institutions.
Marks of the War of Liberation: A mass killing site was behind the Chuadanga Sadar Hospital. There are 3 mass graves at places on the back of the Natudaha High School, at village Dhopakhali near the Jibannagar border and on the bank of GK Canal near Alamdanga Railway Station. These carry the symbol of brutality of Pak army. There are also 2 memorial monuments as the symbol of brave Bangalees.
Main occupations: Agriculture 40.33%, agricultural labourer 28.08%, commerce 12.69%, service 6.08% etc.
Main crops: Paddy, jute, wheat, potato, sugarcane, brinjal, onion, garlic, pulses, betel leaf and pumpkin.
Main fruits: Mango, jackfruit, litchi, papaya, guava, betel nut, coconut and banana.
Main exports: Paddy, jute, biscuit, sugar, tobacco, sugarcane, date molasses, betel nut, betel leaf, mango, jackfruit and banana.
Transportation process: Main mode of transportation is bus.beside bus Chuadanga is also connected with the other districts of Bangladesh by railways. Total length of railway tracks is 50 km that connect the three railway stations inside the district with the country’s railway network.
Like other districts Rickshaw, van, motor cycles are used. For goods transportation, a human driven van called “Nosimon” is often used.
Chuadanga Town: This town stands on the bank of the river Mathabhanga. The municipal town was established in 1960, and it started functioning in 1965. It is “A” graded municipal town. It consists of 9 wards and 41 mahallas. The town has an area of 36.12 sq km with a population of 72081; male 50.13%, female 49.87%. It takes 4-5 hours to reach the capital city Dhaka from the town.
Economy of Chuadanga: This district has an agriculture base economy. Besides agriculture the district is now experiencing industrial growth. Major industries include Zaman Group of Industries, Bangas bread and biscuit, Tallu Spinning mills Ltd,Carew & Company Bangladesh Limited etc.Carew & Company Bangladesh Limited(1933, Darshana of Damurhuda Upazilla).
Carew & Company is the largest sugar mill of Bangladesh. Carew & Company has a distillery which is the lone wine producing plant of Bangladesh ,Carew & Company Bangladesh Limited is an enterprise of Bangladesh Sugar & Food Industries Corporation(BSFIC).BSFIC is an autonomous body of Ministry Of Industries(Government of Bangladesh).
Places to visit:
• Three domed Chuadanga Bôro Mosque
• Gholdari Mosque (1006 AD)
• Thakurpur Mosque
• Shibnôgor Mosque
• Jamjami Mosque
• Hajar Duari School (Damuŗhuda)
• Karpashdaņa Neelkuţi
• Gholdari Neelkuti
• Karpashdanga is an old historical village of Chuadanga District at the border area of Bangladesh. This village was famous in the region for rural business centre from long ago. The rebel poet Kazi Nazrul Islam also stayed in this village for some time and during his participation with non-cooperation movement Swadeshi Movement organised against British Raj. A Nazrul museum has been established in the local high school with the collection of items Kazi Nazrul Islam left in that house. There is also a large Christian community in the village.
• The big Bazaar on the bank of the Bhairab River was one of the oldest rural commercial meeting places from the Mughal to the British era. There is a historical ‘Nil-Kuthi’ on the Bank of the river Bhairab which was one of the Head Quarters of the then East India Company during British Raj for administering the cultivation of indigo in this area. The main part of the Nil-Kuthi is now in a ruined state. The other part has been renovated and converted to a girl’s secondary school in 1983. The old name of the village was ‘Nishchintapur’. There is also a graveyard in the Nil-Kuthi area in Karpashdanga village used to bury the white people of East India company when they deceased.
• Ershad Baag and Fisheries near the famous Dingedah Bazar are the attraction of the tourist. On Sunday and Thursday length of the Dingedah Bazar becomes around 10 km.
Fair: Dingedaha Meteri Mela, Goruy Tipy, Baruni and Gangapuja Melas are notable.