Chapai Nawabganj District Information
Nawabganj/ Chapai Nawabganj is a district in Northern Bangladesh within the Rajshahi Division. This district is the most western district of Bangladesh. It was a thana under Malda district before partition. In 1947, this was severed from Malda to East Pakistan as a sub-division of Rajshahi district. It became a separate district of Bangladesh in 1984. The district consists of 3 municipalities, 33 wards, 134 mahallas, 5 upazilas, 45 union parishads, 830 mouzas and 1136 villages. The upazilas are
• Bholahat Upazila
• Gomastapur Upazila
• Nachole Upazila
• Nawabganj Sadar Upazila
• Shibganj Upazila
3 Municipalities are
• Nawabganj Sadar
Area: 1744.33 km²
Boundary: Nawabganj district is bounded by West Bengal of India on the north, south and west, rajshahi and naogaon districts on the east. The district lies under Barind tract and consists of diaras and charlands (sandbars develop in riverbed).
Population: 1419534; male 50.12%, female 49.88%
Religion: Muslim 94.27%, Hindu 4.68%, Christian 0.23% and 0.82%.
Literacy rate: 23.8%; male 28.5%, female 19.1%.
Main Rivers: Ganges, mahananda, Pagla, Moraganga and punarbhaba. It is a vry river centered district.
Main depressions: Beel Bhatia, Beel Choral, Beel Hogla, Beel Singra, Sukrabari Damos, Maricha Dara, Beel Putimari, Beel Anal, Kumiradaha.
Weather: Annual average temperature is maximum 37.8 °C, minimum 11.2 °C
Annual rainfall: 1862 mm.
Notable personality: Politician and scholar Idris Ahmed Miah M.L.A is called father of Education in North Bengal. He was buried at Adina College Campus which was founded in 1938 by himself. It is the fourth oldest college in North Bengal. He founded many educational institutions in his period. He was the first founder member of Rajshahi University.
Marks of War of Liberation: Mass killing site of 1971 are Nawabganj Shmashan (crematorium of Hindus), Rehaichar, Rohanpur Station Para, Satiar Bazaar (Bholahat) andJadunagar (Bholahat).
Mass grave are near Sona Mosque, Shamsanghat, Boalia, Islampur and Gomostapur Fakirpara.
Memorial monuments are in BDR (Bangladesh Rifles) compound, near Sona Mosque and premises of Chatrajitpur School and College.
Main occupations: Agriculture 34.07%, agricultural labourer 24.31%, commerce 16.6% etc.
• Chapai Nawabganj is called the capital of mango of Bangladesh. The economy of this district is dependend on this. Most of the land of this district is full of mango orchards where various kinds of mango are produced. The economy is surrounded by the production of the mango in this district. The main part of mango production is the Shibganj, Bholahat and Gamostapur upozilla.
• Gambhira gaan is one kind of folk song popular in this district and also in the northeastern part of Bangladesh. Gambhira gaan was originated from the worship of the god SHIVA who was also known as ‘Gambhir’. This type of song was used only in Puja (worship) once upon a time. Gambhira songs originated among the Hindu community of Maldah district in West Bengal. But now this song is sung for all type of celebration by people of all religion. Gambhira reflects social problems through witty dialogue, songs, dances and jokes.
Main crops: Paddy, jute, sugarcane, wheat, betel leaf, oil seeds, pulses etc. The district is full of fertile land with proper irrigation facilities.
Extinct and nearly extinct crops Indigo, koda, maara (one kind of pulse), china (common millet).
Main fruits: Mango, jackfruit, litchi, black berry, palm, coconut, watermelon and boroi.
Main exports: Mango, jackfruit, betel leaf, sugarcane, date molasses, silk sari, copper, bell-metal and brass work.
Major Educational institutions: Chapai Nawabganj has 3 government colleges, 40 private colleges, 2 technical institutes, 1 primary education training institute, 1 vocational training institute and 1horticulture research and training centre. Harimohan Government High School (1895), Bholahat Rameshwar Pilot High School (1911) are some of the old and renowned schools of Nawabganj.
Places to see:
• Choto Sona Mosque, one of the most graceful monuments of the Sultan period. Choto Sona mosque (Small Golden Mosque) at Gaur in Rajshahi was Built by one Wali Muhammad during the reign of Sultan Alauddin Husain Shah (1493–1519). Originally it was roofed over with 15 gold-gilded domes at that time.
• Darashbari Mosque (1479)
• Rajbari (palace)
• Chapai Mosque
• Naoda Stupa (Buddhist monument)
• Jora Math (twin monastery)
• Baragharia Kacharibari (revenue office)
• Nachole Palace
• Pukhuria Village and Shahanbandha Lake(Pukhur) in shibganj Subdivision
• Hindu Temple in Town centre on way to HariMohan High School
• Adina College and Idrishi Bhaban
• Zannat View,zannatnagar,Dadanchak
Nawabganj Town: Nawabganj municipality was established in 1903. Chapai or Nawabganj town consists of 15 wards and 70 mahallas. It has an area of 46.26 sq km with a population of 153252; male 48.37% and female 51.63%. Literacy rate among the town people is 41.2%. The town has one BDR Camp, one Mango Research Centre and one horticulture centre.