Kushtia District information
Kushtia is a district in the Khulna division of the western Bangladesh. Before the partition of India, Kushtia was a part of Nadia District under Bengal Province. The district was created in 1947 with the partitioning of India and Pakistan. At that time Kushtia consisted of the Kushtia Sadar (Kushtia City), Chuadanga and Meherpur subdivisions. Each of these subdivisions was converted to a separate district. Kushtia district consists of six upazilas as well with one thana (Islamic university), five municipalities, 39 wards, 70 mahallas, 61 union parishads, 710 mouzas, and 978 villages. The 6 upazilas are Kushtia Sadar, Kumarkhali, Daulatpur, Mirpur, Bheramara and Khoksa .
Naming history: During the British rule Kushtia was a part of a part of the Nadia district (now in West Bengal). Hamilton’s Gazetteer mentioned Kushtia (Kustee) town and of the fact that the local people called the town Kushtay (Kushte).
Glorious History of Kushtia: Kushtia bears the sign of rich cultural heritage of Mughal period. A river port was developed in khustia during the period of Shahjahan. The East India Company made extensive use of the port, for the indigo planters and traders settled that the township began to grow.
Kushtia had a railway connection with Kolkata, capital of British India since 1860. It made the town an alluring location for mills and factories, including the Jagneshwar Engineering Works (1896), Renwick and Company (1904), and the Mohini Mills (1919)
Shalghar Madhua in Kushtia district was one of the forerunners of the Indigo Resistance Movement in this movement. He inspired all indigo farmers in Kushtia to refrain from paying government taxes subsequently the publication of the Indigo Commission Report an Act was passed.
Like other districts, Kushtia had significant contribution to Bangladesh Liberation War. A company of 147 member of the 27th Baluch Regiment of Pakistan army reached Kushtia on 25 March 1971 from its base at Jessore cantonment. By April 1, the Pakistany army was completely overpowered and the brave Bangali muktibahini took control of Kushtia.
On April 17, 1971 the Bangladesh Government announced Proclamation of Independence at Baidyanathtala (Now Mujibnagar), a border area in present Meherpur district, then it was a subdivision of Kushtia district.
After the independence of Bangladesh, different development projects are undertaken in Kushtia.
Area: 1621.15 square kilometres
Boundary: Kushtia is bounded by Rajshahi, Natore, Pabna districts to the North, by Chuadanga, Jhenaidah districts to the South, by Rajbari District to the East, and by West Bengal and Meherpur District to the West.
Major rivers: Ganges, Gôrai, Mathabhanga, Kaligônga, and Kumar.
Weather: The average high temperature is 37.8°C and the average low is 11.2°C.
Annual rainfall: 1,467 millimeters.
Population: 1,713,224. Among them 50.86% are male and 49.14% female.
Religion: 95.72% are Muslims, 4.22% Hindus and others 0.06%
Literacy rate: 25.8%, with 30.9% of males and 48.35% of females.
Educational Institutes: Kushtia has one public University (Islamic University), one private Medical college, 3 government colleges, 30 private colleges, 1 law college, 2 Teachers training institutes and many other institutes.Other noted educational institutions include Mission Primary School (est. 1898),Khash Mathurapur High School (est. 1942), Kushtia Government University College (est. 1947) etc.
Islamic University, Bangladesh was shifted to Gazipur in 1982 and admission of students began in the session of 1985-86. Later on 10 January, 1990 the University was re-shifted to its original site at Shantidanga Dulalpur.
Historical figures of Khustia:
Kushtia is the birthplace of
• Mir Mosharraf Hossain (1847-1912)
• Bagha Jatin (1879-1915)
• King of Bauls, Lalon Fakir (1774-1890)
• Rabindranath Tagore lived a part of his life at Shelaidaha in this district.
Places of interest:
• Shrine of King of Bauls, Lalon Fakir (1774-1890) reconstructed in 1963 attracts many people from home and abroad. It is located at Cheouria, about 2km from the Kustia railway station.
• Rabindranath Tagore’s dwellings, the Kuthibari, is located at Shilaidah in Kumarkhali Upazila of the Kushtia district. He lived here for part of his life, and wrote many unforgettable poems. Once tagore was the Zaminder of this area. The Kuthibari is now a museum and under the Archaeological Department of Bangladesh.
• Shahi Mosque (Mughal period)
• Home of Mir Mosharraf Hossain at Lahinipara
• Tomb of Nafar Shah at Aruapara
• Tomb of Darvish Sonabandhu at Kumarkhali Bazaar
• Tomb of Jangli Shah at Safiyat Village
• Jourgebari of Chandpur Village
• Mahishkundi Indigo Kuthi
• Kalidevi Mandir
Marks of War of Liberation: This district has10 Mass graves and 1 monument. ‘Muktabangla’ at the Islami University is the most noted memorial sculpture.
Main occupations: Agriculture 31.5%, commerce 15.34% , agricultural labourer 13.9%, etc.
Main crops: Paddy, jute, sugarcane, pulses, oil seed.
Main Exports: Tobacco, betel leaf, banana and sugarcane.
Economical contribution of Kushtia: Kushtia is the centre for tobacco manufacturing of Bangladesh. The area has a good production of Virginia Tobacco. Kushtia has also a big commercial area BISIC SHILPONOGORY.
The name Kushtia came from Hamilton’s Gazetteer’s mention. Hamilton’s Gazetteer mentioned Kushtia (Kustee) town and local people call the town as Kushte. Kushtia is not an ancient town. It started as a river port during the rule of Emperor Shahjahan. The East India Company used Kushtia for indigo business. The growth of the town owes much to the settlement by the indigo planters and traders. In 1860 the town was connected with Calcutta by rail. Kushtia municipality was established in 1869. At that time it was the part of Nadia district. Now Kushtia municipal town consists of 12 wards and 29 mahallas. The area of the town is 13.31 sq km. It has a population of 86066. Among them male are 51.34%, female 48.66%. Density of population is 6466 per sq km.