Annapurna Base Camp Trek: Day 1 – Arrival in Kathmandu
I am back in Thamel after a little more than 3 years – this time for Annapurna Base Camp trek. This is going to be my third solo [with a guide though] Himalayan adventure. And the last time I was here in this season [December], was 8 years ago. This is definitely NOT the Thamel I knew! The pandemic is definitely passing through here.
In this trip, I am somehow remembering my first trip more than others. I went there for my honeymoon, but fell in love with this beautiful country and this idea of backpacking. It was right after we got married. Two “kids”, underdressed for the Nepali December, walking around, in awe, shivering. I remember getting caught in 8-9 degrees temperature in our Dhaka made gabardine jackets! Also, we could not walk 10 steps without almost bumping into a fellow tourist.
This time though, almost no tourists here. Shop owners sitting idly – some playing chess with the next shop neighbor. Maybe the tourist to local ratio will be 100 to 1? I don’t know how they are managing.
Anyway, I head towards Pokhara tomorrow. My trek to the Annapurna Base Camp starts the day after.
December 16, 2021
My Annapurna Base Camp Trek Diary:
- Day 1 – Arrival in Kathmandu
- Day 2 – Pokhara
- Day 3 – Pokhara to Nayaphul to Tikhedhunga
- Day 4 – Tikhedhunga to Ghorepani
- Day 5 – Ghorepani to Tadapani via Poonhill
- Day 6 – Tadapani to Chomrong to Middle Sinuwa
- Day 7 – Sinuwa to Deurali
- Day 8 – Deurali to ABC via MBC
- Day 9 – ABC to Chomrong
- Day 10 – Chomrong to Landruk to Tolka
- Day 11 – Tolka to Dhampus to Pokhara
- Rest Days in Pokhara and Back to Dhaka